Monday, February 16, 2009

the best thing ever!

not a crafty post, but this allows me a little more time for craft-i-ness and I just had to share. I heard about dinner co-ops from my sis-in-law. I talked to a few friends near me with the same size family that I have and we started off last week. Let me tell you - it has been the best thing I think I've ever decided to do! (ok - well maybe not best - but right up there). A couple of them have done them before and i have to say I was a little upset they didn't share the scoop and get one started a little sooner. Here is how it works... we have a group of four families, so on Monday night, Family A makes and brings dinner to all four families. Family B on Tuesday, Family C on Wednesday and Family D (that is me) on Thursday. Not only does this save me time - it saves me $$$. I'm buying a large amount of food for one meal...not small amounts of lots of different things. So far, the food has been scrumptious - I have no doubt it will continue to be. We made a menu for the whole month, so I know what is coming and can make a side to go with it. We are only making a main meal for each other. I have changed my meal for last week, not feeling the dish I had decided to make- and everyone was cool with that. Yes my girls haven't been huge fans of everything we've gotten, (but I have) and they can't be picky eaters at my house. I have never made them a separate meal from what I make, and I don't plan to start now. They always try it and we go from there. This has seriously saved my family from eating out twice (and that is just in two weeks) and so that saves me $$ as well. We try not to eat out often, and this has really helped. Plus we always have leftovers for lunch and sometimes dinner over the weekend.

2 comments:

Alex D said...

I so agree! I absolutely love my dinner co-op and it allows me so much more time at the end of the day to relax and be with my family. My new book: Dinner at Your Door has some helpful hints for getting started and recipes that work well for dinner co-ops. Take a peek at www.dinnerco-ops.com

joslyn said...

wow what a great idea!